Monday, July 20, 2015

Running on Real Food

Just over two years ago is when I started my clean eating journey. It's also around this same time that I wanted to increase my running distance. As I started researching the many running fuel options, I came to a conclusion. There's just not much to choose from in prepackaged fitness food or drink that meet my clean eating criteria. I've ended up settling for Honey Stingers gummy chews for all three of my distance races. They are organic, and at least minimal ingredients, most of which are recognizable.
Now, I'm starting to prepare for my first ultra race, and I really want to train for and run it as close to Paleo as I possibly can. Training starts in a little over a month, so I'm getting my plan together now.
I want to share my list of foods that I will use to train for the 50K race.
(You can see my distance running recommendations here, if you want more information on what I use and when.)


Protein for mid long run and post run recovery:
Epic bars and bites
Paleo Life bars
(If you missed my reviews on these 2 great products, you can find them here and here.) 

Fluids
Homemade sports drink. Coconut water, salt, and fruit purée. (My own recipe!)

Carbohydrates/Sugars
Dried mango
Freeze dried bananas 
Puréed high glycemic fruits (baby food punches are easy to carry)
Bananas
Pre cut "cutie" oranges
Pitted dates
Almond butter and honey (Justin's brand makes small individual pouches)
Lara Bars
Bearded Brother bars
Homemade energy bites made with maple syrup of honey, nut butters, cocoa, dried fruits, and seeds.

Once I sat down and put this list together, I realized it was not going to be as hard as I once thought. So, for the next few weeks I will dream of cooler temps, and start working on a plan on how to carry this stuff on me, efficiently. Stay tuned!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment