Sunday, July 5, 2015

PaleoLife Bar review! Post Workout, Long Run, Refuel Ready!

You know that "hangry" feeling that hits after a long run? Must.eat.all.the.food!! It seems like I spend the entire day (and sometimes, next day) eating and eating and eating, yet never satisfied. I think this is the reason it's impossible to lose weight as a distance runner. While following a real food diet, it's even harder to find something that is quick and easy to grab after a run, with the right balance of carbs and protein to refuel our bodies.  
I was given the opportunity to try PaleoLife Bars as a post workout or post run snack. PaleoLife Foods is an ultra premium, natural, nutritional foods company that was founded on the Paleo/Primal diet belief system. This means that their bars are the highest quality, real, whole food, as close to nature, as possible. PaleoLife Foods started out designing the "ultimate post-workout recovery" and meal replacement foods for themselves, since nothing else met their high stands for Paleo-friendly, natural, and FRESH ingredients. 


Last weekend, I tried my first PaleoLife Bars. Saturday,  I was only going out for about 3.5 miles, but it was going to be lunch time, so I wanted something to eat as soon as I got done. CoCoaNut ended up being my lunch. The next day, I did a 6 mile, early morning run. As soon as I returned and cooled down, I had the Vanilla Nut flavor for breakfast. Here are my observations:

  • Flavor: Sooooo Good! I would rate it 5 out of 5 stars. Some protein bars have a weird "healthy" flavor, but these taste like something homemade, and actually taste good. 
  • Texture: Saturday, I carried the bar with me in my running pack. It was a little gooey, from being in the heat, but not melty or messy. These bars remind me of a thick, nut butter texture, but with some add ins. They are not too dry, either. It would be perfect as a mid-run snack, because it is not too chewy, and can easily be eaten with just a little water to wash it down. 
  • Post refuel hunger rating: 5 out of 5 stars. It is the perfect balance of protein and carbs to refuel the body, and keep you satisfied. The first day, this ended up being my lunch, and I was not hungry again until time for supper. The 2nd day, after a 6 mile run, this ended up being my breakfast. Again, I was not hungry until the next meal. This is a big deal for me! No crazy binge eating all day, trying to refuel and heal my body. 
  • Nutritional Stats and Ingredients: Most people who are following a Paleo or Real Food diet do not watch calories, but if you happen to, these bars are 290-340 calories each, depending on the flavor. Because they are so filling, they are great as a meal replacement, so do keep that in mind.  These are a truly Paleo food. I've seen so many products that claim to be Paleo, but have added ingredients that are not part of the Paleo food lifestyle. They do use rice protein as a source of protein, but it does follow their idea of the Paleo diet, as explained here. Other ingredients are nut butters, seeds, coconut and coconut oil, as well as cocoa and cacao nibs. For the full ingredient list, see here for CoCoaNut and here for Vanilla Nut. 
  • Allergen information: As a food allergy mom, this is always a big factor for me. They do contain tree nuts, which is common with Paleo Foods. However, the allergen statement on the packaging also states that they may contain traces of Peanuts, Egg, Soy, Milk and Wheat. For this reason, I use safe practices of hand washing, after eating them, to avoid exposure to my food allergic child. 
  • Price: A box of 8 bars is currently $29.48 on the PaleoLife website, and $33.48 with free Prime shipping on Amazon. This averages out to be $3.69 to $4.19. Again, looking at this as the cost of a meal replacement, it's not a bad deal. PaleoLife also offers several discount codes on their website. You can find those here.
I have to say, that I am impressed with these bars, and they will become a regular in my pantry. Not only as a post workout meal, but I can keep them in my bag for running errands, or while traveling, to always have a healthy, REAL FOOD, option on hand! To see more information about PaleoLife Foods, please see their website, Facebook page, or Amazon Store








Note: I was given this product in exchange for a review. This review is my own personal opinion of the product. I was not required to give a particular opinion on it. Please use any product I review at your own risk, and consult a medical professional if you have any health concerns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment