Friday, July 17, 2015

Epic Bar review! A truly EPIC product!

I'm always on the look out for real food products that I can incorporate into my training. When I discovered that Epic Bar fits the definition of real food AND Paleo products, I was every excited for the opportunity to try them. 
Epic Bars was founded by runners. Runners that live a real food lifestyle.  Need I say more? They know what we are looking for to fuel our bodies. 
Here is how Epic got started: "Preparing healthy meals at home was a breeze, however we quickly realized there was a lack of conveniently packaged nutrient dense animal protein when we traveled, exercised, and worked. So, we set out to create the world’s first 100% grass fed meat, fruit, and nut bar. We call our product EPIC because it improves the lives of animals, regenerates our bodies, and helps heal the land.  Due to an ingredient label unlike anything else, EPIC epitomizes real foods and will always be humane, pasture centered, and most importantly, delicious." Read their complete story here.  Most impressive, is that they only accept the best from their suppliers. "We set the industry standards by sourcing our meats from ranchers that we deem EPIC. We mandate proof of certifications, which validate that our animals receive the utmost humane treatment. We believe that EPIC animals should always live pasture-centered lives where turkeys forage, pigs wallow, and buffalo roam. This is the way nature intended animals to be and we see ourselves as leaders in recognizing the value of sustainable and responsible animal welfare practices."

Epic has 3 types of products. "Bars", "Bites", and "Hunt and Harvest Mixes." The "Bar" is a meat, fruit and nut bar, packed full of protein. The "Bites" are bite size, similar to jerky, but better. Add in some fruits and super seeds, and you have the perfect snack. The "Hunt and Harvest Mixes" are the perfect combination of grass fed jerky, seeds, nuts, and berries.  Check out the full product line here


Over the last couple of weeks, I have sampled several of their products and flavors. Here are my observations:

  • Texture: Don't let the word jerky fool you. Each one of these products, whether Bar or Bites, is very tender. Almost melt in your mouth tender. It may be similar to jerky, but without the jerky chew to it. This makes it the perfect mid run snack, since you won't be trying to chew it up over the next 10 miles. 
  • Flavor: I haven't met an Epic flavor I didn't like. Some of the flavor combinations will give you pause. But, trust me, you need to try them. Bison Bacon Cranberry bar- the perfect combination of sweet and bacon salty. Yes, it sounds odd. Yes, it tastes awesome!! Chicken Sriracha bar- just enough spicy kick, without being too spicy (This one will be nice for winter Ultra training!)  Uncured Bacon bites: it's bacon. Everyone loves bacon! This one is getting added to my mid long run snack list. Protein and salt are two things I need during long runs. These are so tender, easy to chew, and portable with the bite size pieces. Chicken Currant Sesame BBQ bites- I'll be honest. I never had currents before I tried these, so I wasn't sure what to expect. They ended up being my favorite! My taste buds really enjoyed the combination of sweet, salty, and a tiny bit of spice. Beef Apple Bacon Bar- This was another delicious combination! Check out all the flavor offerings here
  • Fullness factor: Each of the bars kept me full for a good while. I used them as a post long run refuel, and paired it with some fruit to make it a meal since we were heading off to church soon after my runs. I was plenty satisfied, and did not get my normal "must.eat.all.the.food" feeling, like I typically do. The bites were not as filling, but perfect for a snack. When you compare the protein between the bars and the bites, in most cases, the bars do pack more protein. Protein usually indicates how full I will feel after eating, so this was consistent for me. 
  • Ingredients: It is so hard to find products out there that advertise as primal or Paleo, that ARE actually 100% Primal or Paleo. You won't be disappointed with Epic. Every ingredient is real food. You won't question what any ingredient is. 
  • Price: When you are talking about quality grass fed meats, and organic ingredients, you expect to pay more. But, Epic Bars are actually very competitively priced. A box of bars runs about $30 for 12 bars. That's only $2.50 a bar! Bites are currently on sale for $50 for a box of 8 bags. Each bag is 2.5 servings. Again, you are looking at $2.50 per serving, or $6.25 per bag. 
  • Availability: You don't have to order online. There are quite a few stores that carry Epic products. I have seen them at our local Earth Fare and Whole Foods.  You can also find them on Amazon.
  • Allergens: Epic products are Soy and Gluten free. They do use tree nuts in some of their products. 
Chicken with Currant & Sesame BBQ Bites

Epic Bars are going to be a regular in our house. Not just for when I'm running, but when I'm on the run. Traveling, running errands, or just a day at the part with the kids. It's great to have a healthy, real food, convenience food that I can feel good about for the entire family.

Stay tuned for an "Epic Giveaway!"



Note: I was given this product in exchange for a review. This review is my own personal opinion of the product. I was not required to give a particular opinion on it. Please use any product I review at your own risk, and consult a medical professional if you have any health concerns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment