Monday, July 13, 2015

Distance Running, Hydration, and fueling your body- The busy mom's guide to help you get started!



I'm craving a long run. It's been entirely too long. Considering it's been 90+ degrees, and 10000% humidity, I'm actually doing better than I normally do in the summer. I finished the marathon in May, and wasn't able to really get back to running for about 3 weeks. I tried, but my legs were so tired, and just needed that recovery time. That is totally ok! It typically takes 1 day per mile to recoup from a race. Then we started moving, and it got hot. Now, I'm settled in and slowly building my mileage back up. I want to get to the point that 10 miles is my weekend norm, at least until 50K training starts in September. I'm up to 6 miles now, and this morning my body said it was ready to do more.
I was reflecting on my long, slow distance runs (LSD... I know,  I know) during marathon training.  I wanted to share some of the things that I learned during this time, not only about the run itself, but nutrition and hydration, too. When I was researching training, I found so much information, but a lot of it was in terms that only an expert runner would understand. Hey experts! I'm a busy mom of three! I don't have time for your "expert terms!" I needed something in layman, simple terms, that help me know what to do!
So, here is the busy moms (and dads!) version, just for you!


  • The LSD run is about time on your feet. It is NOT about pace. (Hence, long SLOW distance run.) When doing your long run each week, you should be focusing only on getting the miles in, you should never try to run at your goal race pace. "The experts" say, it should be done 1-2 minutes per mile slower than race pace. You can work on speed another time. This helps you to build the endurance that you need come race day, BUT it also helps to keep you from getting injured. If you do your long runs at race pace every other weekend, you won't have time to recover before the next one comes up. Especially as you are increasing mileage every couple weeks. So, slow it down, and enjoy the run! If you want to work on your speed, do some intervals on your shorter run day. 
  • Fuel your body! It took me forever to figure out how to fuel my body for long runs. I read 1000 things about what types of things to eat, but could not find anything about how much and when to eat, that didn't require a masters in mathematics.  Finally, I talked to someone at the running store, and they were able to help. This is going to vary a little based on your weight, but you want somewhere between 30-40 grams of carbs every 45 minutes, for any run lasting more than an hour. Once I started using this as a guideline, I felt so much better during my runs. I can't tell you what to eat, you need to experiment during these long runs and find out what works for you. I used anything from bananas, dried mango, orange slices, my homemade sports drink, and Honey Stingers organic gummy candies. For the marathon itself, I had one pack of the Honey Stingers gummys every 45 minutes. I felt great for the entire race! I also had one protein bar half way through my long runs. Make sure you experiment and see how each type of running fuel works for you. Not just on your energy level, but on your stomach. Nothing like a mad dash into the woods mid run. Hey, it happens!!
  • Hydrate your body! This is another item that I see so many different recommendations on. It will vary for every person you ask. Personally, I don't even run a 5K without having a little water. Anytime I am running an hour or more, I carry my homemade sports drink. I've seen people say that they ran a half marathon with only water and nothing else. Good for them, but that's not the way I like to run. Again, you need to experiment and find what works for you. There are so many different types of hydration belts, packs, vests, and handhelds, that I am sure you can find something comfortable to have on hand. Or, stash a few bottles along your route? I used to do laps around my neighborhood and kept my bottle in the mail box. The important thing is to stay hydrated! How much you need and when you need it is going to vary based on temperature, humidity, and how much you sweat out. 
  • Salty face? That's one more indicator of what you may need during your runs. If you finish your runs and notice your face is gritty from salt, you may also need to add some salt to your run hydration or fuel routine. I add a pinch of salt to my homemade sports drink, but you could easily carry a handful of salty nuts, pretzels or crackers to help along the way. This Runner's World article has a lot of that terminology that I hate trying to comprehend, but it will help you understand how sodium and salt plays a role in keeping you hydrated and keeps you going. 
So, what are you waiting on? Lace up, gear up, and RUN!!!


Note: This article is for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for medical advise.  Please consult with a doctor if you have any medical concerns.



No comments:

Post a Comment