Monday, July 6, 2015

Hoka One One Clifton 2 Running Shoe review!

You've seen Hoka One One in the stores. They always catch your eye. If it's not the bright colors that you see first, then it is definitely the high volume midsole that make you think of moon shoes from back in the day. I've always been curious about these shoes. How would they feel? Would I feel like I'm going to rock over, face first? Will it feel unstable, like platform shoes?  I'm here to tell you that it's time to quit thinking about them and try them.
"Since 2010, Hoka One One has engineered unique performance midsole geometries, that feature higher volume, softer density, and greater rebounding foam than standard running shoes."
What does this mean in layman terms? It means that you are going to have a lot of cushion, excellent shock absorption, and a shoe that promotes good running form.
I started wearing the Clifton 2's a little over a week ago, and have put about 30 miles or so on them so far.

Here are my observations:

  • These are very light weight shoes. You would not think so, with the amount of cushion, but they are probably the lightest shoe I own, and I own several!
  • The Clifton 2 has a pretty decent height stack and a ton of cushion. I never felt unstable or wobbly in these shoes. My running form was perfect, and I never felt like I was going to rock over head first.
  • My normal running route is on a country road, so these got tested on the road, and then along the side of the road when cars were going by. Making the transition from the road to the grass or gravel was smooth, and stable. 
  • I did notice that when I was tired, my foot did drag a little a couple times. This happened when I ran later in the day, and again when it was extremely humid outside. But, the last few times I ran in them, I had no issues with it. I don't know if it was because I was not tired and hot, or if I became adjusted to the height of them and got better with my form. 
  • I really like the flat shoe laces. I feel like the tie is more secure, and will not come loose, like I've experienced with other laces. 
  • The size seems to run just a little bigger than all the other brands I have tried. I had to go down 1/2 size to get a good fit on these. 
  • Over the last few months, I have noticed that the bottoms of my feet are sore after an especially long run, or in a race where I am putting more effort into the run. That is not the case at all with these shoes. I did a 6 mile run in them, and had zero issues. These are likely going to be my go to shoe for distance runs and races, especially with my ultra-marathon training starting soon. 
The brand name, "Hoka One One" is derived from a Maori expression meaning, "It's time to fly over the earth." When I run in these, I felt like I was running on clouds, so this expression is oh so true! If you are looking for a shoe with some extra cushion, these are the shoe for you. Stop glancing at them from afar at the running store. Pick one up, try one on, and "fly over the earth" on your next run!







Want more information on the Clifton 2? Check them out here. Or, check out the entire Hoka One One brand at http://www.hokaoneone.com/.


Note: This review is my own personal opinion of the product. I was not required to give a particular opinion on it. Please use any product I review at your own risk, and consult a medical professional if you have any health concerns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment