Monday, June 22, 2015

Homemade Sports Drink- Nothing artificial!! Paleo, Real Food Friendly

I think summer has hit with a vengeance all around the country. The highs in NC have been upper 90's to 100 for the last week, with no end in sight. Proper hydration is critical right now, whether you are working out, or just out in the heat all day. Even when you are out by the pool with the kids, you should make sure that you are all drinking plenty of water. But, when you are really sweating it out, you need to replenish the electrolytes, carbs, and salt your body is using up. Sports drinks are full of refined sugars and artificial ingredients, so my family avoids them. Making your own is so easy, fuels your body, and tastes great, too! Coconut water is a natural source of electrolytes and has more potassium than a banana, so it's perfect for runners! Pair it with your favorite fruit for some added sweetness and carbs, and it's perfect. If you're one of those runners that needs some extra sodium, a pinch of sea salt will do the trick.
This year, when I ran the Disney Princess Half Marathon and the Kings Mountian Marathon, I carried my Camelback hydration pack with my own homemade recipe and it fueled me perfectly for both races! It is definitely my go to fuel!



Three simple ingredients is all you need.
11 ounces of plain Coconut water
1/2 cup of your favorite fruit*
1 small pinch of salt (optional)

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend 2 to 3 minutes, until thoroughly blended.
How easy is that!?
*I like to use frozen fruit, so the drink stays cold longer in the heat. 


Some of my favorites are:
Pineapple
Mango
Strawberry
Watermelon
Combine flavored and see what you like! 

Additional tips and tricks:
Get the kids involved to teach them healthy habits, and let them come up with their own flavor concoctions!
Stick with fruits that are easy in the stomach, especially if you are going to run with it. 
If you're in a hurry, keep a few baby purée pouches of your favorite fruit on hand. Put it all in a bottle and shake it up with the coconut water to mix it.
If you have some fruit at home that you need to use, put it in the blender until it's puréed. Then put into ice cube trays and into the freezer. Once it's frozen, store it in a ziplock freezer bag until you need it. One to two fruit cubes will be perfect for 11 ounces of coconut water, depending on your tastes.

I'd love hear some of your real food sports drink ideas! Leave me a comment and let me know what works for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment